Friday, November 12, 2010

So many changes

But good ones at least. It's hard to know where to start sometimes. Being in school makes me use those brain muscles I'm not used to using so I spend a lot of time thinking about everything. When I made the decision to change careers, I have to admit, I was nervous. As everyone knows, it takes a lot of money to go to school. I wondered, what if the benefits don't outweigh the costs? What if I regret this decision? What if it was a huge mistake to quit my job during a time in our country when it's very hard to find work and the economy is so poor? Of course the answers to these questions still remain to be seen to a certain extent but I can say this: I absolutely LOVE what I'm doing. I am pouring myself into what I'm learning and while I find plenty of things to complain about (which J will attest to), I am still ecstatic about all the knowledge I am soaking up. Teaching is going to be hard. I have no delusions about this. It is grueling, often thankless and not the most lucrative of careers. However I believe that this program is preparing me as much as anything can to be a teacher.

It's odd, I'm actually truly applying myself in school for the first time. I wasn't the great student as a kid all the way through college. I enjoyed some things but mostly I would've rather been on my bike or playing with dogs or just about anything else. I still have problems with motivation when it's 10pm at night and I still have work to do followed by a 6:30am shift at work the next day, but here's the thing: I get it done. I actually DO it. I guess there's hope for me after all.

As for wedding planning, as of tomorrow we are exactly 6 months away from the party of the century! Both J and I are so excited and still enjoying the planning part of it. A couple of big things still to do but we're getting closer to being able to focus on the details. Nothing very exciting to report specifically.

Now for some much needed lounging before heading back to work. TGIF!

No comments: