Monday, April 17, 2006

Summer quickly approaches

Since I've been a librarian one of the big changes I've noticed is my complete 180 degree turn regarding my attitude toward summers. During school, summer meant time for several things: relaxing, putting in a few more hours at a job, catching up on some reading, swimming, hiking, etc. When I have been employed full-time in the past (before my current job) summer has not held too much meaning other than a change in the weather and more reasons to take vacation days. Now, where I am currently employed, summer has taken on an entire new meaning, a life of its own.

As you may already know, summer is the quintessential time of the year for children's and young adult librarians. It is a time of increasing programming, more performers than usual, an influx of children and teens in the library, and general chaos. For a while I was plain and simple nervous. I was looking as these two months as a trial by fire situation. I knew that I would have my first gray hairs by the end of the summer. Well, that is all still the case but now instead of nerves and fear, I am getting more and more excited. I will more than likely be exhausted most of the time but still...I get to do programs with names like "Backyard Bugs" and "Slither and Slink", as well as a talent show for teens! How excellent is that? This year's summer reading theme is "Paws Claws Scales and Tales" and you know me and animals...what a great theme!

I wish I had a good reference question story to pass along but at this moment, I got nuttin'. However, we do have a pretty excellent program coming up. A group of elementary school kids who play dulcimers are performing at the library. They're called "Swingin' Dulcimers." Quite a name, right?

No comments: