Thursday, May 17, 2007

Not much

I don't have too much to report but I feel like I should post something. It's been a while. The kitties are still the same. Ornery, furry and fun. Sammy's still in the sink. Well, on and off, but more on than off these days. He's very happy about his discovery, so far as I can tell. What a goofball.

Work is somewhat slow right now. However, this is very much the calm before the storm. Summer reading is gearing up slowly but surely. It always makes me chuckle when someone says "well I guess with summer coming up you'll have a nice break!" Umm...no. I'm not a teacher. Summer is the busiest time of my life which actually says a lot considering how busy the library almost always is. However, as I said before, May has been a relatively slow month. Program numbers are down and I think it's mostly because suddenly it's nice outside so people want to be out there enjoying it. I don't blame them. If I could, I'd be out there with them.

I did have one great conversation with a girl about 5 years old today. She came up to the desk and here's what transpired:

Girl: Can I have a sticker?

Me: Well sweetie I don't have a sticker to give you, but here's a bookmark with monkeys on it! [I hand her the bookmark]

Girl: [walks away, pauses, returns to the desk] But this doesn't have a sticker.

Me: I know, I wish I had a sticker to give you, I'm so sorry! Would you like another bookmark?

Girl: [picks up about 150 bookmarks...yells across the library] MOM! HERE! BOOKMARKS YOU HAVE!! HERE! MOOOOMM!!!

Me: [Hesitating..] Umm, I'm not sure if mom will be too happy with all those bookmarks, why don't you take one of each?

Mom: Sweetie, we can't take all those, we have to leave some for other people. [puts giant stack back on desk, walks away]

Girl: [walks away, pauses, returns] Do you have any monies?

Me: [Laughing] No sweetie, I'm sorry I don't. Is there anything else I can help you find?

Girl: [walks away, starts to talk to our stuffed Winnie-the-Pooh toy]

Awesome!

No comments: