It's a rough time out there for libraries right now. It's rough for everyone and especially all non-profits but since this is my field, I have a particular interest in this. These are a few articles I've been reading recently in the news about other states that are in difficult situations. I'm lucky to be in a system that is not in the same dire straits as these are but we are nevertheless feeling the crunch.
California
A Critical Situation in California
Many Libraries Go Quiet as Local Budget Cuts Deepen
Grads at UCS Bash Tuition Hike
Pennsylvania
Arendtsville Library to Close
Budget Cuts to Affect Local Library Branches
Massachusetts
Cuts in MA Library Aid, Possible Closing of State Library Generate Protests
State budget cuts force end to Bookmobile
So what is my newfound interest you ask? Advocacy. Library advocacy, to be exact. I have discovered I have really enjoyed reading about what it takes to make a library run and how libraries are dealing with the current recession. I don't enjoy reading about libraries in hard times but I enjoy thinking about how it's librarians and other people in the community that often work the hardest to try to explain to the policy makers how important libraries are to our communities.
In particular one area of advocacy that I have a very strong drive for is young adult services. It is a notoriously under-funded and underserved group of library goers and most teen librarians face tough hurdles when asking for program funding, teen spaces in libraries or even teen book collections. It's a challenge but based on what I've seen just during my short time in this field, there's significant change already across the country.
It's up to us to make our voices heard. It's up to us to know what our community needs and wants and it's up to us to find a way to provide that to our communities. Libraries are at a critical point right now. We have record numbers of people in our doors with needs that the library are desperately trying to keep up with. It's not just books and research, or even internet access. It's up to us to continue the change toward the future.
1 comment:
Hear hear! (Or should I say Read Read!) mk
Post a Comment