Friday, November 20, 2009

YALSA here I come!

I have been given the honor of participating on the Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults Committee for YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association). Library services for teens is something that is near and dear to my librarian heart and to be involved in this amazing national organization is beyond incredible. Not to mention one of my closest friends is also on the committee! One of the major requirements (besides reading a ton of books...oh how sad for me) is to attend both the American Library Association's annual as well as midwinter conferences. I've been to an ALA conference once before and a PLA (Public Library Association) conference once. It is a mind-boggling experience replete with entertainment, amazing author signings, incredible presentations, networking and all sorts of awesome. My first conference as a committee member will be next June in Washington D.C.!

On another library-related note, I have been diving into lots of graphic novels lately. Especially those written specifically for children. I've always talked up the Bone series by Jeff Smith and I've finally read the first volume. Highly recommended! It's hilarious and has a great story. Such a fun format to read in, I wish I had the talent that these authors and illustrators had. J and I sometimes talk about collaborating on a graphic novel. Or a regular book. Maybe someday. When we're retired probably.

No comments: