Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A new goal

I have decided to take up running. I've been doing a lot of reading about the mechanics of running, the benefits and popularity. I've run twice in my life. Once when I was attempting the track team...a short lived experience. And once when I was in the best shape of my life physically but so much else was going on I didn't have a chance to really work at it. And finally now I have a real goal to work toward.

On Sunday, July 20 Teb's Troops is sponsoring a fundraiser in Chicago. It is a 5K run/walk to raise money for melanoma research. I chose this for several reasons. First of all, it's an actual reasonable goal. Second of all, it's a cause that is very close to my heart and my family. It is an amazing organization in the name of an incredible woman. It is because of this woman that I have such a fabulous brother-in-law and gorgeous, brilliant nieces. If I can give even a little something back, I will do it with all that I am. I have not yet registered for the event. I will be doing this sometime next week and will be soliciting donations to sponsor me running the 5K.

I am imagining this will be quite a unique experience and I am looking forward to seeing if I can push myself to the limit. I have invested in a very good pair of running shoes, I am doing lots of research to make sure I'm doing it right and hopefully I will have good results. I am spending this week doing power walking everyday just to get my heart rate up. This upcoming Sunday marks week 13 so that's when I'll start "training."

My first snag: I took a long power walk this morning and when I got home realized half of my left arm was covered in a rash of bug bites. Not fun but typical. If there is a bug within a 50 mile radius, it will seek me out and feast on my skin til there's nothing left. That's always been the case. Note to self: get bug spray.

I will probably be considering my blog a bit of a training log for myself. Read if you feel like it, skip if you don't. I'll also try to keep posting good library stories. I've got a few I'll post in the next one. It's such a wild place to work!

2 comments:

Ollie said...

haha! good luck with the training. i've heard that hiring scary zombie monsters to chase you sometimes helps.

McTodds said...

Sally, good luck on the run! If you want any advice I am more than happy to give it, but you already have good shoes which is the most important piece. Can't wait to hear more.